By Inger Furholt

Not knowing what’s going to happen next is sometimes a scary thing. I am ready for my life to begin, but the more I think about what to do next, the more I hope for the time before graduation to go in slow motion.

It was one of those days when I didn’t know what to do with myself. I had already scheduled to go see a friend for a talk. When I started telling her how I felt and what was happening in my life she stopped me and said, “Seems like you’re having a quarter life crisis.” Well, considering that I didn’t know what a quarter life crisis was at the time, all I could do was laugh because I found it humorous that there was such a thing.

A quarter life crises is something that can hit people in their 20s. In my case, it slapped me in the face at the age of 22 when somebody asked me what I was planning on doing after I graduated. Well, graduation is getting closer, and I have yet to figure out what I want to start doing when I’m no longer a student– but an adult.

I’ve been a student for 17 years now, and I’ve always identified myself as a student. In almost a month, I will no longer be able to identify myself as that. I’m supposed to be all grown up now, but I don’t feel like I am close to getting there yet. This feeling is not a great one, at all.

When looking around campus, it seems as if people have it all figured out. It’s as if they already know where the road in their life is taking them. They know exactly when they’re taking their next step and where their foot is going to land, on solid ground.
However, I feel like every time I want to take a step towards something I may like in the future, I will just step right into a big puddle of water, or in a pot hole only to twist my ankle or something (I have never had very good luck).

I know there come times in my life when I have to just “pick up and move on,” however getting myself to doing so and moving on is hard.

Some of the most common signs of a quarter life crisis are frustration, anxiety over relationships, insecurity over future plans, boredom with your social life, looking at pictures and trying to remember the “good old days” when you’re still 22, feeling a need to settle down, wanting to “escape the world,” financial stress or confusion, intense loneliness, feeling that everyone is doing better than you, terrified because you’re getting “old,” wondering if this is all there is and sometimes the feeling of apathy put together in a box with horror, panic and depression. There are a lot of signs, and I may not have all of them, but this part of my life definitely feels to me like a quarter life crisis or maybe just a crisis in general.

Yes, a quarter life crises is just another one of those things that can happen in life. It doesn’t happen to everyone, but most who are affected by this kind of confusion can manage to get through it even though it may seem impossible at times. It all takes time, and when you’ve finally figured out your when, where and what it may slowly pass. When that happens all one can hope for is a great life until you meet your next crisis, the mid-life one.

Inger Furholt is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail her at inger.furholt@sckans.edu.
Edited by Lea Shores.