By Melody Brinigar

Not yet. I’m working on it. I’ve almost got it done. I’m just about there. It’s all finished but the paperwork.

Procrastination is the art of putting things off until the last possible minute. Sometimes procrastination doesn’t even occur. The task is simply blown off.

Are you a procrastinator?

Do you find yourself checking email or Facebook, only to find nothing new? When a deadline is approaching, do you discover you are absorbed in other, less important tasks? Do you miss deadlines?

Culprits of procrastination sway themselves into thinking there are legitimate explanations for delaying the undesired task.

Kelcey Gabriel, psychology senior, said, “I procrastinate because I feel I have plenty of free time until the due date arrives.”

When the assignment seems difficult, some procrastinators convince themselves to postpone the project until they are more motivated. They are afraid of the outcome.

Dan Falk, dean of students said, “I used to procrastinate because of fear. I was scared of the project. I had the fear of failure, or the fear of not doing it right.”

Attitude affects procrastination too. “Sometimes I just don’t want to do it,” said Gabriel.

It seems normal to procrastinate to some degree. But procrastination has its downfalls.

Marjorie Snyder, Deets Library technical services, said, “Procrastination causes you to run out of enough time to give the assignment what it’s due. When there’s an ‘oops,’ there’s not enough time to fix it.”

Falk finds that procrastination doesn’t allow enough time to put in the effort for your project to be successful. For college students, Falk suggests that avoiding procrastination can turn ‘C’ and ‘D’ papers into ‘A’ and ‘B’ papers.

Breaking the routine of procrastination can be challenging. Individuals should customize strategies that work best for themselves.

Snyder avoids procrastination by breaking down the task. She looks at the assignment and revisits it frequently. “I keep it on a back burner. Subconsciously, it is getting done. This makes it easier to actually finish the project,” said Snyder.

Falk, once a procrastinator, broke the habit. He said, “I have learned to just throw myself into the task.” Falk also has a mindset to give himself an earlier due date. “I have learned that diving into a project and getting it completed early allows me to kick back later.”

Melody Brinigar is an undergraduate majoring in communication. You may email her at Melody.Brinigar@sckans.edu.