By Stacie Hinkel

When someone asks the question “When have I had too much?”, then they are past the limit. When alcohol is involved, you lose control over your drinking and how much you drink. Then further identifying the problem is even harder.  Some of the symptoms of alcohol abuse include being unable to limit the amount of alcohol you drink, feeling a compulsion to drink, developing a tolerance, having relationship problems and experiencing physical withdrawal symptoms such as nausea, sweating and shaking when not drinking. Studies have shown that long-term alcohol abuse can cause serious effects on the body’s organs. Not only does drinking have harmful affects to the body but also mentally and to others as well. Alcohol can cause anything from school problems, family problems and DUI’s. Alcohol can quickly become an addiction and a disease, so early intervention is important.

By Amber Nubine

A person should have no more than 3-4 drinks because exceeding that amount could start affecting the body. The signs of too much alcohol include impaired vision and coordination, you become sick and pass out, have slow reaction time, you don’t even remember what happened the previous night, and even alcohol poisoning. When a person becomes too dependent on alcohol could lead to alcoholism. Alcoholism can result in more risky behaviors that could lead to motor vehicle accidents, risky sexual behavior that could lead to rape or even unplanned pregnancy. Many people ignore the symptoms of alcoholism before it’s too late, so it’s important to catch it early on if you are concerned about yourself, a friend, or even a family member. Go to this website that has free screening for alcoholism http://www.alcoholscreening.org/Home.aspx . If alcoholism continues this could lead to cirrhosis of the liver, which causes poor functioning of the liver. Complications can range from liver cancer to needing a liver transplant. Another complication of alcoholism is the decrease of brain functioning where the alcohol blocks all messages from the brain to the body and vice versa which could lead to impaired perceptions, emotions, movement, vision, and even hearing.