Krystal Cole

Krystal Winn

As a Black and White Biracial woman, I feel that I am inclined to have a holistic portrayal of Black and White race in America. I grew up questioning my own racial identity; many times asking myself if I am Black, White, or Biracial. I proudly proclaim that I am Biracial and believe that I am the literal amnesty between these two races. I am stronger knowing that I have the blood of historical enemies running through my veins. I believe that in the 21st century, we still place minorities into arbitrary categories but somehow still expect racism to vanish. Society assigns too much importance on placing race into categories, rather than partaking in a homogenous society. Hence, America truly may never be a “melting pot” if racial constraints continue to be prevalent within each culture. Racial biases, societal portrayals, and geographical statistics all prove that there are distinct boundaries within each race. Pity for the past amongst White and Black society has spread like a disease that is in need of a cure. When we stop rewarding minorities for the sufferings of their ancestors and attempt to recreate true amnesty, where race is blind, then maybe one day, we will all be one.

Krystal Winn is the multicultural admissions counselor.

Shay Cox

Shay Cox

The Civil Rights Act accomplished many things to increase racial equality.  Nearly fifty years later, we enjoy to benefits of the hard work African American leaders and other national leaders who championed the legislation.  Although the Act did not eradicate racism, it did level the barriers to access to quality education, economic opportunity, and equality in housing, subsequently, allowing African Americans more opportunity to see success beyond the local community.  Unfortunately, policy cannot legislate morality.  Racism still exists.  Although there are no longer “For Colored Only” signs, we continue to face issues today as we must accept the obvious: we are a diverse nation.  However, the parameters of race have shifted.  The race issue is more than a black or white issue as more ethnic people struggle with acceptance and equality.  Additionally, the race issue has become a subset of a broader issue of economy.  Before, Martin Luther King, Jr. demanded that African American be judged not by the color of our skin but the content of our character.  So often, today, all Americans are judged by the size of their financial portfolio.  The recent economic downturn as highlighted how tenuous social relations are when everyone, regardless of color, lives in fear of personal survival.  The racial divide is reopening, as the financial conditions of the nation continue to deteriorate.  As an African American, I am most grateful for the passing of the Civil Rights Act.  I am, however, aware that cause for equality is ongoing, particularly when the economic times challenge moral character.

Shay Cox is an adjunct instructor of math.