Editor in chief

A few weeks ago, I told one of my best friends, who was preparing to propose to his now fiancée, that I would do something crazy. I told him I would run around the two of them after she said, “Yes” with sparklers in my hands and cheer gleefully for their new companionship.

I would have done it too, except they were four hours away at the time and he proposed in a radio station. I doubt there would be many happy memories if I managed to burn the building down.

If you were wondering if I had ripped that idea off from an episode of “Scrubs”, the answer is yes.

Why would I do something like that, you ask? Because I’m a goof ball, but also because when I propose, I want it to be special, memorable and I want others to be a part of it.

Some people think that a proposal should be private. I can see where that can be romantic and all, but you’ve got to make some room for fun too. Make it public and put some effort into it, gentlemen. We are going to have to work for that ‘yes’ either way.

Invite your friends, invite your family. Heck, invite that cashier at the grocery store who smells kind of funny. Share this event with those closest to you. Surprise her, and then hear the resounding applause when she (hopefully) says ‘yes.’

Don’t get me wrong. Some people go way too overboard with the “public proposal” thing.

I saw a video clip a few months ago of a man who pretended to break up with his girlfriend at a restaurant. When a waiter came over to console her, he spontaneously erupted into song and dance, which was followed by a flash mob of actors who sang and danced all the way into the streets until the guy emerged wearing a tuxedo and holding a ring.

This proposal was on national television and was comprised of hundreds of people, mostly strangers to the couple. I may be goofy, but there is a line when it comes to overwhelming a girl.

Guys want to sweep women off their feet, not flip them into another dimension. Besides, how are you ever going to one-up something like that on the several anniversaries you’ll be having?

I want to give my future wife a ring publicly. I imagine sharing that special moment with others and getting several hugs and cheers all around after I pop the question. Then after that, all I have to do is figure out how to make the wedding just as fun.

Clinton Dick is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.