What Super Bowl? I couldn’t be bothered if Tim Tebow makes it to the Super Bowl or not. The only thing that bothers me is the amount of money invested into the production and airing of commercial breaks during the Super Bowl. $3 million for a 30-second commercial break is the precise definition of ridiculous.

On other days, we see commercial breaks by organizations such as World Vision that persuades us to rebuild a scarce nation. They claim that whether we give in big or small amounts, doesn’t really matter because what matters most is the heart. Sadly, such effort is often gone to waste as we rarely respond to the cause. Some of us do, but a majority of us are ignorant.

In a way, I do understand why we make a big deal out of the Super Bowl. It is a culturally-engraved event that happens every year, more like an annual Christmas dinner that is not only looked forward to but also a must-have event that if it is taken out of the equation, its absence is a prominent loss. Hence, we call it a necessity. It simply makes the American life, the American life.

Talking about necessity, I was on the lookout for grapes at the nearby Walmart last week and quickly realized the many choices I have. My point being there are more products on sale than we ever needed. Clothes and food left on the shelves for sale that never got sold are left to waste. Yet, there still exist the whole argument of why hungry kids starve to death. I mean, just imaging if we kept what we needed and send the extras to the needy out there. No Walmart, but one satisfied world. Yes, it takes a little sacrifice on our part, but isn’t a hungry-free world what we’ve always hoped to have?

We are what we see on the news, the very reason many die of scarcity. There is no big difference between a nation that does not have the needed resources to feed their own and a nation that has more than it ever needs but holds back. Both ways, we see suffering. Due to our choice to keep what we have for ourselves, another person hurts out there. Where is our rational? We claim we are a caring society that strives for change outside our comfort zones and we make a big fuss about children in poverty that are punished to death for their innocence and pray hard for a miracle. We are ignorant to realize that we are their miracle. Does it hurt to share an extra Snuggie or is it too complicated a task to split what we have into two? We fail to realize that small acts of kindness when done on a massive scale can change the direction of history. Some say they are already helping to champion the cause via organizations such as World Vision but it takes more than one person to change a norm. Preaching about kindness from the pulpit doesn’t miraculously heal a kid suffering from Kwashiorkor.

Every time you see a Super Bowl commercial break, don’t forget that a feeble and helpless child is dying somewhere out there. And we, seated so comfortably on our couch in front of our television with the bottle of Coke purchased from Walmart have made the choice to be ignorant and indulge in our so-called entertainment in the name of necessity. We could have been and should have been the solution to the questions we ask of why innocent children helplessly die. But we chose not to.