By Maggie Dunning

Organizations thrive on every college campus. They change as well. Each semester holds something new for each organization.

Pride Builders is an organization for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning and allies. That has recently reorganized.

After a few inactive semesters the organization is meeting again. Meeting times are on the first week at 5:30 p.m. Monday in Pound’s Lounge and on third week at 8 p.m. Friday in Darbeth 207.

The executive board of Pride Builder’s includes Shane Schrag, president; Jordan Angermayr, vice-president; Kaitlyn Buffum, treasurer; Ethan Haworth, secretary and Nathan Bail, historian.

Their constitution includes a privacy clause for all its members, a formal statement of what the organization is about, the different types of meetings the organization can have, and the job descriptions of the executive board.

The group is moving forward with their agendas, plans and actions.

Michelle Boucher, associate professor of English and sponsor of Pride Builders, said “One of the members is pretty interested in developing a course that deals with what we call gay theory and queer theory and gender theory.”

The member asked Boucher, Alice Bendinelli, associate professor of English and Carrie Lane, associate professor of Psychology to discuss the development of the course.

“I think that the other thing on their agenda is to reach out to people, even outside the institution, who may need a place for discussion, for sharing of concerns, for support,” said Boucher.

Jordan Angermayr, theatre junior, said, “To me it is a place of support and a place to show that there is an LGBTQA community at Southwestern.”

The founding members of the organization took pride in who they were as individuals in the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning, allies community, but felt they didn’t have a voice. They made themselves a voice by creating Pride Builders.

Boucher said, “It has continued to serve that purpose in all the time that it has been in existence.”

Angermayr said, “Having an organization like this means that I know for sure that I have some support from the administration, from all over campus.”

Boucher said, “Most of the years I have been associated with the group their focus has been to provide educational opportunities for people who don’t belong to gay, lesbian, transgender, or bisexual groups. To understand what it is like, to provide that interaction between groups to help them understand the struggles that people who are gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, sometimes encounter.”

Angermayr said, “I hope that we have a positive impact and that we can shed new light on the LGBT community, a positive light. I hope that we can see Southwestern as a full community and have pride builders be included and welcome on campus.”

Maggie Dunning is a communication freshman. You may e-mail her at margaret.dunning@sckans.edu.