IMG_0305By Benjamin Whitener

They are over. Mid-terms that is. Finals aren’t for 61 days. Many students will try to wait until the week before finals to start studying for them. However, Tami Pullins, associate vice president for advising and student success, said students should not cram everything in at the last minute. She said cramming and studying for too long of a period of time are the worst study habits to acquire.

Students should go over class material when they have free time during the day. Pullins said, “Take advantage of the down time between classes to study. Make that part of the class time.”

If a student takes down time between classes to study, then they can avoid cramming and studying for too long. Pullins said to keep study time to around 50 minutes, as a student usually only retains what they learn in the first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes of studying.

Pullins also said that as a general rule of thumb a student should study three hours for every class hour. If a student has a three hour a week class, then they should spend nine hours a week outside of class studying for it.

Some students will have trouble studying for and understanding some of their classes, but they can get help. Brendan Fox, director of the Student Learning Center and coordinator of the SAAB Initiative, said that students having trouble in a class should get with a classmate or roommate and set up a time to devote to studying.

Students should find a suitable environment to study in. Lexy Teeter, biology senior, is this year’s Scholar of the College. She said students should find a place that is quiet and without distractions, such as television and Facebook.

A student can also go to the Student Success Center and get help from a tutor. The SSC has seven tutors who work at the center covering mostly core class material, such as math and writing, and can help with exam skills and study habits. Tutors available at the center are:

Jessica Johnson, writing

Audra Mann, writing

Brian Nelson, writing

Cassi Reimer, math

Alesia Schneweis, writing/algebra

Lea Shores, writing

Tristan Walters, writing

Math tutors are available Monday and Wednesday from 3 to 4 p.m. and Thursday from 7 to 9 p.m. Writing tutors are available Monday and Wednesday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Thursday from 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tutors for other classes are available upon request.

The SSC is open Monday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday throughThursday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Friday from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Students can stop by and make an appointment with a tutor or they can send an e-mail to student.success@sckans.edu.

Going to the SSC for help does not mean that a student is stupid or can’t do the work. Fox said that some students think that by going to the SSC they are admitting that they are stupid. This is not the case. The reality is not everyone will get everything in every class. For this reason the SSC is a tool available to all students who need it.

Students should also keep track of their grades in each course. Doing so can help determine what each student needs to do to stay on top of their course work. Teeter said that it is important to know how well a student is doing in each class so they know what to devote more time to.

Mid-term grades can be found on IQ.Web in the My Academic Info. section. Weekly course grades can be checked through Blackboard under the view grades link.

Benjamin Whitener is a junior majoring in digital art. You may e-mail him at benjamin.whitener@sckans.edu.