By Lenita Krejci

Free massages, Christmas cleaning, and extended evening hours at the library. These are signs that finals week is here. Although there are dozens of majors, every student will have to face the challenge of being ready for finals. Finals may mean the same routine for many, but there are many different ways you can prepare.

Usually when preparing for finals week, it is all about time management.

John Badley, English senior, said, “I probably spend about eight hours a day or more, literally every free moment of my day, I spend studying.”

However, this is not always the case. “I probably spend two hours a day, if that,” said Jessica Trout, theatre freshman.

Finding the proper place to study for finals can also be a challenge. Katie Gomez, communication senior, said, “I can study anywhere in my room, usually my bed. I don’t even have a desk in my room.”

Badley has a different take on places to study. Badley said, “My biggest dangers when I study are either that I will fall asleep or I will talk to people. College Hill Coffee would be my No. 1 choice, but I also study in the library and in my living room where no one talks to me. I never study near my room because I will be too tempted to sleep.”

A number of students find that music helps them study. Badley finds music is essential. However, it can’t be just any music, classical music.
Badley said, “I am very easily distracted so I usually listen to music, because it helps me. I only listen to classical music though when I do homework because it tells my brain, “it’s time to do homework.”

Another one of Badley’s study habits is having more than one subject to work on. “I always have to have multiple subjects around me. Since I’m ADD, I have to have at least two subjects to switch back and forth between, or I won’t get anything finished,” said Badley.

For Trout, this will be her first week of college finals, and like many others, the final nerves have started to sink in. “I don’t like tests,” said Trout.

Whether day or night, inside or outside, or an hour vs. five, studying is essential to surviving finals week.

In order to do so, many students turn to flash cards, highlighters, and pencils.

Badley said, “I write heavily in books, highlight everything, I always say if you don’t write heavily in a book, you’re not fully engaging in the text.”

Not to worry though, for freshmen, there is advice from upperclassmen. Gomez said, “During finals week since you don’t have a lot of classes and just a couple hours of finals, a lot of people tend to goof off, which is fine, but you have to make sure you get your studying done first.”

“Don’t stay up the night before your first final,” said Badley. “If you have a choice between studying for four hours before your final or sleeping for your final, sleep. Never study right before a final.”

Gomez said, “A lot of people cram all through the night and don’t get any sleep. Do what you can do. If you get too tired, go to bed and see what you can do in the morning.

“Give your mind a break.”

Lenita Krejci is a senior majoring in speech and theatre education and musical theatre production. You may e-mail her at lenita.krejci@sckans.edu.