By Alissa Sheppard

For the third year in a row Leadership has conducted a Road Race. Saturday April 14, is when the event will be held. A host of students and faculty as well as people from the community will run/walk a mile or a certified 5k course. The 5k will begin at 8:30 a.m. and the 1 mile will begin at 9:15 a.m. It costs 20 dollars for entry fees for the 5k and 12 dollars for the 1 mile. The money that is made will go toward their budget which will help them carry out many community servie projects and go on service learning trips.

Being a fairly new fundraiser, students in Leadership are still figuring out the kinks. “We have the easy part taken care of,” said Hannah Podschun, English education junior, she is one of the coordinators for this event. She said making brochures and posters is already taken care of, which was the least of her worries. “It is hard to find a place to run, not only because we have to find a place that is safe and a place that will be easy to shut down, but we have to work with the police department and that can make it a little difficult at times,” said Podschun.

“I have been going on bike rides with my GPS to find a route as well,” said Kaley Rodriguez, elementary education junior, who is the other coordinator for this event. “We still do not have a route, but we are working on one.” She said she is very excited for this event because it has been a great turn out in the two previous years. “At this moment we have about 20 people signed up for the run, but we usually get more in the last week.”

Last year there were about 30 runners so they have set a goal for at least 50 runners for this year. They encourage runners to get creative with their running attire. Prizes will be awarded to individuals as well as groups. “We want to help build a bond between students and the community,” said Rodriguez. Leadership wants to help give back, as well as promote a healthy lifestyle.

Alissa Sheppard is a senior majoring in communication, you may contact her at alissa.sheppard@sckans.edu