By Gabby Gamez

The leather pig skin ball sails through the air and is caught by a perfect manicured hand with green nail polish. Winning the game for their team.

This is the scene that awaits the crowed, the night of Nov. 13 who will watch an intense game of Powder Puff football.

Maggie Collett, graduate assistant of campus life, said, “I like seeing the girls from all different sports, activities, and majors come together to play this game of football.”

With no director in the Campus Life office Collett said she just started to plan it. When it came time to pick the coaches Collett said, they had female coaches last year and, this year they wanted to mix it up and get administration involved.

Dick Merriman, president of southwestern college, said “I hope everyone comes to have fun, have a few laughs and enjoy playing together.” Merriman said he would coach the teams when asked, only if Dave Denly, athletic director and head women’s basketball coach, would be the other coach.

This year Merriman will be the coach for the seniors and sophomores for the game. With only 45 minutes to prepare Merriman said the trick is to figure out simple plays.

Coach Denly has the juniors and freshman on his team. Ashley Smith, freshman phycology major, said “I think it’s going to turn out well, because he likes to win as well.” Smith said she was very excited to play powder-puff football for the first time here at SC.

When it came to preparation for the cold weather Collett ordered long-sleeved shirts to keep the girls participating warm. Merriman said with wind and cold weather it makes it hard to throw and catch the ball.

With the cold weather fast approaching Smith said, “If you run a lot you don’t get cold, or need that many layers.” Even with the cold biting wind making its presence Smith is really excited to play, saying “I like winning.”

The Powder Puff practice beginning at 7:15 p.m. and the game begins at 8 p.m., Nov. 13 at Jantz stadium.

Gabby Gamez is a junior majoring in communication. You may contact her at gabby.gamez@sckans.edu.