Photo illustration by Samantha Gillis/Photo editor

Pink appears in some unexpected places this month. From streaks in hair to bracelets to ribbons, there’s no way to escape it.

This month marks the 26th anniversary of the National Breast Cancer

Awareness Month organization. The group’s first program, in October 1985 lasted only a week. Today, the entire month of October is set aside to build awareness and to support breast cancer patients and survivors.

Pink can be seen everywhere: stores, streets, and even the National Football League. Once again this year, the NFL is vividly showing their support, donning pink gear from cleats and wristbands to helmet decals.

All of the publicity helps to raise awareness about the disease and bring in donations. Kindell Copeland, athletic training junior, has noticed the effects. “More people are starting to donate and give to the cause,” she said.

Both Copeland and her roommate, Taylor Kinnamon, business administration junior, have done their part to help by putting a pink streak in their hair. A local salon, Love Hair Fashions, is currently offering to dye a strand of hair pink for $10 to $15. The money raised will go to the sister of one of the stylists, who was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. “It’s for a good cause,” said Kinnamon.

Becca Bustraan, bio chemistry freshman, also dyed her hair. “I’m a strong believer in cancer awareness and I’ve always wanted pink hair anyways,” she said.

Students will be given several chances to help make a change during the month. Volleyball’s Dig Pink game was Oct. 5 against Bethany College, when students were encouraged to wear pink. This Saturday, the women’s soccer team will face off against Bethel College in the Kick for the Cure game. Students are encouraged to attend the game, which begins at 5 p.m.

When asked what she would do to help raise awareness, Copeland said, “I think that if there was any way to get every sport to have an awareness game, that would be cool.”

Kinnamon said, “My grandma had breast cancer, so it would be nice to do something she would enjoy.”

So whether you catch a game or put pink in your hair, be sure to do your part this month and help support a noble cause.

Erin Morris is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.