Alissa Sheppard

I call it Facebook therapy. I lost my brother March 10th 2010 to Brain Cancer, he was 22 years old. My family and I have his password and decided to keep his Facebook profile activated. Keeping it activated is a way for family and friends to express things to him as they would when he was alive. Sometimes it is  great to look through all of his pictures and remember things from childhood and look at his life. I know that Alexander is not able to write me back, but when I am having a bad day and missing him I inbox him a message and it helps me get some of the pain off my heart. One thing that I keep the same is his profile picture, and I do not change his status. I keep his Facebook profile the same because I want it to remain who he truly was, but I will never let it go away because I don’t want his memory to go away.

Alissa Sheppard is a senior majoring in communication.

Zach Castor

I believe that the Facebook profile should be given to the family of the deceased. In the same way that a person can will their possessions to loved ones, that person should be able to will his or her profile to a loved one. In the case of someone dying unexpectedly without having a will, it should be distributed to family in accordance with the state laws. The family of the deceased will have the option of either memorializing the profile, a method Facebook already offers, or deleting the profile altogether. I do not believe that the profile of someone who is deceased should remain an active, normal profile. In my opinion, that is creepy and weird. If I was put in that situation where I had to choose between memorializing a profile or deleting it, I would most likely opt to have the profile deleted.

Zach Castor is a junior majoring in biology.