By Rodney Marner

Mistakes killed the Builders in the game on Saturday versus Ottawa University. The builders fell 41-19 on homecoming afternoon. After the loss, the Builder’s record falls to 2-4 and 1-3 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference.

The team had nine penalties for 105 yards, those penalties killed the Builders as a team. The penalties mostly hurt the offense as two of those penalties caused the Builders two touchdowns. “We made a lot of mental mistakes in the game today,” said Ken Crandall, head football coach.

Corey Holbert, senior running back, continued to run the football well. On Saturday, he carried the ball for 134 yards on 31 carries and one touchdown, which could have been two touchdowns, but a penalty brought one back. Michael Haynes Jr., freshman running back, ran the ball well again and gained 40 yards on nine carries.

“The defense played pretty well with the exception of the usual problems we have, like not tackling very well, and we gave up too many big plays,” said Zak Tazkargy, senior linebacker.

The third point of the game was special teams, in which Southwestern did not play well. They gave up a punt return for a touchdown and a near touchdown on a fake field goal. “With better special teams, we can have field position advantages which always pans out for the better,” said Lorenzo Fouts, senior defensive back.

Homecoming was this weekend and a huge crowd for Southwestern was present at Richard L. Jantz Stadium as well as the band and drum line. “It was a great atmosphere, good crowd, and the drum line was awesome,” said Crandall.

The Builders will play the Friends Falcons at 1:30 p.m. Oct. 15 in Wichita. The builders will look to improve and beat the Falcons. This is a big game for the Builders. It is a road game plus the Falcons are a huge rival to Southwestern. The Falcons also forfeited a win due to them playing an ineligible player in the game versus St. Mary’s. Friend’s record is 2-2 in KCAC and 2-3 overall.

Rodney Marner is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at rodney.marner@sckans.edu.