By Morgan Givney

Paul Swisher, nursing senior, practices using a stethoscope on  his classmate, Chris Norris, nursing senior. Swisher returned to school for a nursing degree. (Dalton Carver/Collegian photography)

Paul Swisher, nursing senior, practices using a stethoscope on his classmate, Chris Norris, nursing senior. Swisher returned to school for a nursing degree. (Dalton Carver/Collegian photography)

Paul Swisher started at KU in pre-med. Then he switched to business. He realized that business was not the place for him. “I was more initially correct when I was going towards my heart, and business wasn’t it. I need more than to be rich out of life,” said Swisher.

Swisher chose nursing because he felt that he needed to give to people. “I had one patient who called my parents and told them that they appreciated me taking care of him. I want to make someone’s life a little bit better, to make them smile one more time,” said Swisher.

Swisher balances nursing school, a full time job at a local long-term care facility and a home life with his wife and their six children. He has four daughters and two sons, ranging from age of 2 to10. “The biggest struggle has been balance. My wife has been a single mother of six for the last two years while I’ve been in school. I’m looking forward to being a dad again. It’s one thing to show up to a soccer game and say ‘hi’ but another thing to talk to them when they are upset and have the time to do it,” said Swisher.

Swisher has seen a lot of excitement during his clinical in surgical intensive care, but one weekend stands out. “This past weekend we had four people code [die], and we brought all of them back. Also there was a time when a surgeon was putting an EED in a guy’s head and the pressure was so high that fluid in the brain shot by me on the window,” said Swisher.

In the future, Swisher sees himself doing intensive care and trauma work. “I’ll have my doctorate in advanced practice registered nurse, and I’ll definitely do intensive care. I like traumas. To me it’s exciting, the adrenaline of bringing someone back and stabilizing them,” said Swisher.

Morgan Givney is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at morgan.givney@sckans.edu