By Jonahs Joudrey

The Southwestern College athletic department named their scholar athletes of the 2014-2015 season in Stewart Field House. Rachel Baker, accounting senior, and Paul Mata, philosophy senior, were named Most-Outstanding Student-Athletes in the ceremony at noon.

There were six female athletes and five male athletes that were nominated by their respective coaches.

Finalists for the 2014-15 Most-Outstanding Student-Athlete include…

Rachel Baker (Edmond, Okla. – Softball)
Rachel has been a starting pitcher for the Lady Builder softball team for each of the last three seasons. Her 308 career strikeouts will go down in the record books as the second-most in program history, while her 354 innings pitched is the third-most in program history. Rachel is a two-time All-KCAC selection, and a three-year Academic All-KCAC selection. She has also been the Sutton Hall Resident Advisor for two years, has been a STUFU member for three years, including a year as the Vice President of Traditions, and is the Enactus Vice President. She has secured a job at the BDO accounting firm in Dallas, Texas, and will start her job after graduation.

Caitlin Harris (Edmond, Okla. – Women’s Soccer)
Caitlin is a four-year varsity letter-winner for the Southwestern College women’s soccer team, and was a starter as a freshman, but has been sidelined with injuries since then. She was recognized as an Academic All-KCAC selection this season. Off the soccer pitch, Caitlin has served as the President of the 9 Lives Improv Comedy Troup for two years, the Secretary of the Tri-Beta Biological Honor Society, a Board Member of the Philanthropy Board, and a third-year leader in Discipleship Southwestern.

Sara Peck (Wellington, Kan. – Women’s Tennis)
Sara recently completed her four-year career with the Southwestern College women’s tennis program, where she spent each of the last two seasons as the team’s captain. She was primarily a No. 1 doubles player this season, and earned Second Team All-KCAC recognition after playing No. 1 Singles and No. 1 Doubles as a junior in 2014. She was also a 2013 CoSIDA Capital One Academic All-District 6 First Team selection in 2013 and an NAIA Daktronics Scholar-Athlete in 2014. Sara is a four-year member of Leadership Southwestern, and is currently the president of the Pre-Health Professionals organization. She has volunteered as a counselor at the Southwestern Tennis Camp and Nike Tennis Camps for two seasons, and planned and directed the Rotary Youth Leadership Camp in 2013. Sara will graduate with a degree in Biology and a Leadership minor, and has been accepted into the KU Medical School’s Scholars in Rural Health program.

Alyssa Richardson (Lantana, Texas – Women’s Golf)
Alyssa is a four-year member of the women’s golf team. During those four years, she helped the Lady Builders win the team’s first-ever KCAC Women’s Golf Championship, and participated in the 2012 NAIA Women’s Golf Championship tournament. She was a KCAC All-Tournament Team selection in 2014, and was a two-time NAIA Daktronics Scholar-Athlete selection. Alyssa has been an Admissions Ambassador for three years, and has also been a First Class tutor while participating as a member of both Enactus and SGA. She will graduate with a degree in Communications with an emphasis in Professional Communication, and a minor in Business Administration.

Montana Rickey (Tecumseh, Okla. – Women’s Basketball)
Montana recently completed her four-year career for the Lady Builder Basketball team, where she served as a team captain during her senior season. She was a part of the first two KCAC Tournament Championships, and the first KCAC regular season championships in program history, and helped the team advance to the NAIA Div. II Women’s Basketball National Championship in each of her four seasons, including an appearance in the ‘Elite 8’ as a junior. Montana is ranked 6th in the SC Women’s Basketball record book in Career Blocked Shots, and 10th in Career Field Goal  Percentage after shooting 46.5 percent over her career. She was a two-time NAIA Daktronics Scholar-Athlete, and a Three-time Academic All-Conference selection while earning KCAC Honorable Mention recognition in 2015. Off the court, Montana has served as a two-year officer for STUFU, including a term as President this year, and has been a two-year Orientation Leader at Builder Camp. She has also volunteered on multiple occasions for community service projects, including Winfield Community Clean-Up, Freshman Work Day, and Winfield Community Helper. She will graduate with a Biochemistry degree.

Morgan Workman (Parsons, Kan. – Women’s Track & Field)
Morgan is a four-year member of the Southwestern College Women’s Track and Field program, and is currently serving as a team captain. She is currently the school pole vault record holder, and recently won the pole vault championship at last week’s KCAC Championship meet in Lindsborg. Morgan is an all-KCAC selection both as a vaulter and a hurdler, and was a member of the 2013 and 2014 KCAC Championship teams. She was also this season’s NAIA Champions of Character recipient at the NAIA Indoor Track and Field Championships, and was the KCAC Champions of Character recipient for the indoor season. Off the track, Morgan is the Treasurer of the SC Ultimate Frisbee Organization, and has been a Teaching Observer and Aide at various schools in the area. She will graduate with a Mid-Level Mathematics Education degree.

Michael Bond (Andover, Kan. – Men’s Tennis)
Michael is a four-year member of the Southwestern College men’s tennis team, and played No. 2 Singles and No. 1 Doubles for the Moundbuilders this season in his second term as a team captain. Off the courts, he is a four-year member of Leadership Southwestern, where he is currently the Public Relations Coordinator, and is the Director of Kids Impact Cowley County. Michael is also the Founder and Director of the Winfield Sports Closet program, and is a camp counselor at the Southwestern College Tennis Camp and Nike Tennis Camps. He has volunteered at various community service projects, including Tuesday’s Table at First United Methodist Church, the E-Waste recycling program, and the annual Homecoming service projects. He will graduate with a Business degree, and a minor in Leadership.

Dalton Carver (Ozawkie, Kan. – Men’s Soccer)
Dalton is a four-year member of the Moundbuilder men’s soccer team, where he has spent two seasons on the team’s Leadership Council. He was the recipient of the team’s Most Improved Player award as a sophomore in 2012. Away from the soccer pitch, Dalton is a four-year staff writer for the Collegian newspaper, and UpdateSC, and is a two-year staff member for the Moundbuilder yearbook and Leadership Southwestern. Dalton won First Place in both Editorial Writing and Review Writing in the Kansas Collegiate Media Association’s annual contest, and was the 2015 Yearbook Journalist of the Year. He also served one-year stints with SGA, Jinx Radio, and as a First Class tutor. He will graduate with a Communications degree, and aspires to become a full-time newspaper journalist.

Shane Gilbert (Derby, Kan.  – Men’s Golf)
Shane recently completed his four-year career with the Southwestern College men’s golf program, where he has landed on the All-KCAC team for four-straight seasons. He was also a 2013 NAIA Third Team All-American, and a 2013 NAIA National Championship participant. Shane has won three career event titles, including the 2015 South Central Kansas Spring Invitational, and is a two-year team captain for the program. He was a 2013-14 Cleveland Golf Srixon All-American Scholar-Athlete selection, and has volunteered for a number of opportunities, including Island Park rebuild, Mosaic, Camp Horizon, and Community Trunk-or-Treat and Community Easter Egg Hunt, while serving as a Golf Instructor for South Central Kansas Special Olympics. Shane will graduate with a Business Administration degree.

Paul Mata (Carrollton, Texas  – Football)
Paul is a four-year member of the SC football team, where he has started 37 of the 44 games in his career. In that time, he has recorded 166 solo tackles, and has assisted on 154 more, taking his career total to 320 total tackles. Paul also has 11.5 career sacks, 45 tackles for loss, has broken-up seven passes, and has intercepted one pass. He finished No. 26 in the nation in tackles as a senior, and led the team in tackles as both a freshman and a sophomore. Paul has served as a team captain for two seasons, is a three-time All-KCAC honoree, a two-time NAIA Champion of Character recipient, and is a 2014-15 CoSIDA Academic All-District 3 selection. He also won the team’s Bud Elliot award. Away from football, Paul is the Treasurer for Pi Gamma Mu, and is active in 9 Lives, theater, and is an Resident Assistant. He has volunteered at numerous events, including Safe Homes, and the City of Winfield’s Downtown Clean-Up. He will graduate with a degree in Philosophy & Religion.

Nick Warnke (Wichita, Kan.  – Men’s Track & Field)
Nick has been a member of the Southwestern College Men’s Track and Field and Cross Country programs for four years, and is an 11-time combined All-KCAC performer between Cross Country and Indoor and Outdoor Track and Field. He is also a five-time NAIA National Qualifier, and a two-time KCAC Champion in the 4×800 Meter Relay, and won the team’s MVP award as a senior. Nick is a three-time NAIA All-America Scholar-Athlete, and was Southwestern’s 2015 KCAC Champion of Character recipient. He works on campus as a Customer Service Representative in the Copy & Mail Center, and has also worked as a baseball umpire for the Northeast Baseball and Softball Association. He also competed a Sales Internship with the New York Life Insurance Company from Fall 2012 to Spring 2013. He will graduate with a degree in Business Administration, with an emphasis in Finance.

The Most-Outstanding Student-Athlete award is given in memory of Tracy Young by Bill and Georgianna Young. Tracy was in the class of 1982. The award is presented to the top senior female and male student-athletes who demonstrate exceptional performance in athletics, academics, leadership and college and community service.

Jonahs Joudrey is junior majoring in communication. You may email him at jonahs.joudrey@sckans.edu.