By Jonathan Woon

Often, playing in a high school band becomes a “first and the last” experience. For Aaron Duell, philosophy & religious studies senior, passion keeps him playing the trombone.

Duell inherited his brother’s trombone in fifth grade when he was introduced to band music. In seventh grade, his folks got him his own instrument. Duell recalls playing in high school, Trinity Methodist Church and Power Symphony, a brass band led by a retired band director.

Today, Duell plays in SC Concert Band. “I get really enthusiastic when I put on my tuxedo for SC Concert Band performances,”  he said.

The concert band will perform “Some Enchanted Evening in Lincolnshire” on Feb 20.

The performance will showcase Bennett’s “Symphonic Songs for Band,” Rogers’ “South Pacific” and Grainger’s “Lincolnshire Posy.” Performance will begin at 3 p.m. in the Winfield High School Auditorium. ­

This year marks the 30th and 50th anniversaries of Robert Russell Bennett’s and Percy Aldridge Grainger’s death respectively.

Percy Grainger’s “Lincolnshire Posy,” is a multi-movement work based on folk songs recorded in the east central county of Lincolnshire.

Melissa Williamson, assistant director of campus life, is a member of the flute section. She said, “I really like the piece by Grainger because it displays the capability of all sections in the band.”

Jimmy Leach, assistant professor of music, directs of the SC Concert Band.

“This concert will be a miracle of interplay that requires everyone in turn to come to the foreground, then retreat into the texture all while staying perfectly in tune.,” said Leach. “Stronger personalities must learn to tone it down while timid souls are encouraged to assert themselves.”

A week after the performance, the concert band will showcase their music at the Kansas Music Educators Association Festival in Wichita.

“Performing at Winfield High School helps gear up the band before performing at KMEA. It’s always good to have something under your belt,” said Williamson.

Jonathan Woon is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at jonathan.woon@sckans.edu.

Edited by Lea Shores.