By Alejandra Rojas

Flowers are meant for any occasion. They are intended for celebration, congratulations, sorrow and to show appreciation.

Students and faculty have the pleasure of having a large greenhouse available to provide space for classroom and individual projects. The greenhouse has an assortment of plants and flowers, including pansies.

Pansies are a large group of hybrid plants that cultivate as garden flowers. They are also known as violas, which is associated with the wildflower species. They are cold plants, and can survive in freezing temperatures even during their blooming period.

Max Thompson, retired faculty member, is responsible for the growing and caring of the pansies. He is also selling them.

They went on sale last week for $2.25 for a six pack.  The flowers are available in mixed colors, yellow and blue blotches. The money raised will go towards operating the greenhouse.

“Typically we don’t go to students. We target staff and faculty,” said Thompson. “I would seriously doubt students will buy because they don’t have a place to plant them.”

Some of the pansies will be planted on campus during the winter.

“We plant them in the fall through the winter. They die in the summer. Some of them will be planted on campus,” said Thompson.

Anyone who is interested in purchasing the pansies, the greenhouse is open by appointment only. Arrangements must be made by calling Deb Pearce, faculty assistant.

Alejandra Rojas is a junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.