Managing editor

The Southwestern football team fell on the road Saturday evening against the Ottawa Braves 40-21, snapping a two game winning streak. With the loss, the Builders fall to 3-3 overall on the year and 2-2 in the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference. Ottawa moves up in the conference, improving to 3-2 on the year and 3-1 in the KCAC.

Ottawa put up the first 10 points of the game thanks to a 26-yard touchdown pass from Shane Gizmo, senior quarterback, to Jon Hilliger, junior wide receiver, with 1:28 to go in the first quarter. The Builders came marching back in the second, scoring 14 unanswered points to take the lead. A big play before halftime put Ottawa back in control. Gizmo connected with Travis Adamson, junior wide receiver, for a 71-yard touchdown pass with 4:37 on the clock. The score gave Ottawa a 17-14 lead going into the locker rooms.

A five-play, 74-yard drive capped off with a Dexter Hayes, freshman defensive back, six-yard touchdown run to start the second half gave Ottawa a cushion on their lead. Southwestern scored again in the third to narrow the deficit, but Ottawa closed out the game scoring 16 unanswered points, 13 in the fourth quarter.

The Builder’s next game takes place next Saturday at 1:30 p.m. at Richard L. Jantz Stadium in Winfield against the visiting Friends Falcons on Homecoming.

Clinton Dick is a senior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.