By Taylor Posey & Jonathan Woon

[media id=188 width=430 height=240]

Organizations from Southwestern College came together Sunday Oct. 7 to participate in the Backpack for Kids program. This program sends bags filled with nutritious food home to children who are deemed food insecure.

Over 300 students helped prepare these bags of food and then walked over to Winfield High School where the bags were presented to J.K. Campbell, Winfield High School Superintendent. Campbell said, “There has been a huge increase in students who qualify for free school lunches and most of these students depend on these lunches for food.”

Food insecurity is defined as limited or uncertain access to sufficient and nutritious foods necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle.

“Kids are something everyone cares about, so we wanted to do something locally to help them,” said Lindsay Wilke, leadership assistant director. Wilke, along with the help of others, put this idea into action when they teamed up with the Kansas Food Bank.

The KS Food Bank is the head organization to this program that deals with schools in Cowley County and sends out backpacks to the children in need of it.

Athletics, service learning, campus life and performing arts, all put money together to buy the food for the project. Women’s basketball player Catherine Cranmer, sophomore guard, said, “It feels good to do something for the kids in the community I play in since we get so much support from this town.”

Taylor Posey is a junior majoring in communication. You may email her at taylor.posey@sckans.edu.