By Dalton Carver

Service is one of the biggest foundations of the Leadership organization at Southwestern College. Numana, a volunteer group donating food to the Horn of Africa, shares that sentiment.

“Numana is all about trying to help those dealing with disasters through service,” said Hannah Podschun, English junior. “Leadership is all about helping people through service.”

Numana is a non-profit organization that encourages groups, such as Southwestern College, to save the starving.

According to their website, they achieve this goal by raising awareness, providing actionable solutions, and encouraging advocacy, all through volunteer services.

Currently, Numana is doing packaging events at 15 colleges throughout the state where 20,000 meals are donated for students and other volunteers to package.

“Leadership was interested, and the organizations around the school needed community service,” said Podschun.

Although Leadership, Green Team, and Discipleship are in charge of the event, all athletic teams, Student Government Association, Student Foundation, and athletic training are also volunteering.

“I would consider this event a success if all the meals were packaged and the students not only enjoyed the experience, but also understood the impact they’re making,” said Podschun. “I’d hope they’d be willing and able to do something like this again.”

The event begins at 4 p.m. Sunday in the cafeteria.

If the event is successful and Numana offers the opportunity again, Leadership hopes to make the meal packaging an annual event for the college.

Dalton Carver is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at dalton.carver@sckans.edu.