By Inger Furholt

Student African American Brotherhood (SAAB) was founded in 1990, and since has grown to more than 185 chapters across college campuses and high schools. It is found in 39 states, and is known to increase the number of African American and Latino Men graduating college by trying to create a positive peer community based on a spirit of caring.

“Saving lives, salvaging dreams” is the SAAB slogan, the organization which was started on campus this semester.

Members are encouraged and helped to excel academically, socially, culturally, spiritually and in service to the community. SAAB is run through students on colleges and high schools.

Brendt Winn, business administration graduate, is the vice president for the organization. “Right now we officially have seven members,” said Winn. “We are always on a patrol to get new members as well.”

It is a family away from home.

“It is a sense of brotherhood,” said Winn. “We have each other, and we back you up, so you can succeed. It is a sense of family away from home.”

Alexandre Maccasane, business administration sophomore, is a member of SAAB, and also the financial adviser. “SAAB is more like a family, it’s about us being friends and helping each other and being positive,” said Maccasane.  “It’s small, but people are positive and thinking clearly. It is about how we can be better about tomorrow. Learning to be better in our environment and get better knowledge.”

SAAB’s motto is, “I am my brother’s keeper and together we will rise!”

SAAB meets every Sunday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., and there is always a special guest to share their story.

Inger Marie Furholt is a junior majoring in journalism. You may e-mail her at inger.furholt@sckans.edu.