Above: Southwestern softball opens up their season hosting Peru State. The day series ended in a series split 8-1, 6-4. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer

Kalley Henson, junior pitcher, delivers a pitch to home. Henson pitched seven innings and only earned two runs in game two. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Loren Wright, junior infielder, Alexis Guyton, senior infielder, and Sydni Fulks, senior outfielder, gets ready to play defense. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Kayleen Gonzalez, senior outfielder, makes a routine catch on a fly ball. Gonzalez went five for seven on the day with a double and a run batted in. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Kalley Henson, junior pitcher, makes routine play over to first after comeback groundball.  (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Alexis Guyton, senior infielder, takes a hack at the incoming pitch. Guyton went two for eleven on the day with a double, run batted in, and two bases on balls. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Julie Long, senior infielder, gets caught in a run-down, ending the inning. Long went two for four on the day adding in a double, run batted in, and a hit by pitch. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)MacKenzie Lyons, senior utility, gets ready to hit. Lyons went one of seven on the day, that included a double on three runs batted in. She also pitched 3.2 innings and pitched the first game. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Julie Long, junior infielder, slides into second after a double hit to the outfield. Long went two for four on the day adding in a double, run batted in and a hit by pitch. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Kayleen Gonzalez, senior outfielder, gets ready to hit. Gonzalez went five for seven on the day with a double and a run batted in. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)Sydni Fulks, senior outfielder, tags up from second on fly ball hit to the outfield. Fulks went four for eight on the day with a stolen base. (RJay McCoy/Staff photographer)

By Daegiona Wilson

The season is finally here.

Moundbuilder softball opened up at home on Feb. 25, with a doubleheader against Peru state.

The two teams evened out as the Bobcats clinched the first game 8-1, and the Builders secured the second in a 6-4 fashion.

As for game one, the Bobcats went on a run in the fourth inning, scoring 6 runs. The Builders weren’t able to battle back, as their lone run came from MacKenzie Lyons, senior pitcher.

In game two the Builders opened up with two runs in the first inning, coming from Sydni Fulks, senior outfielder, and Alexis Gouyton, senior infielder.

The Bobcats battled back in the third inning to go up 3-2 over the Builders. It wasn’t enough as the Builders were able to close out with four more runs.

This gives the Builders a 1-1 start as they look ahead to face Mid America Christian on March 2 at Broadway Recreation Complex.

To watch the game via live stream, visit https://portal.stretchinternet.com/sckans/