It’s been a hard season for the soccer teams so far. Men’s soccer is currently 4-4 while the women have a record of 1-6. As conference games quickly approach, the teams are working hard to improve.

Reuben Sanchez, head men’s soccer coach, believes the guys are right on track. “I knew we were young and last year was pretty hard for us. The main thing was to learn to mesh as a team and work as a team,” said Sanchez. He knows there is still a lot of work to do, but considers it a growing process.

The men’s biggest weakness is the fact that they are young, but experience will soon fix that. Meanwhile, their strength is in the midfield. “We have two very good freshmen who are stepping up,” said Sanchez.

The men’s team still has high hopes this year. “We want to be in the top six. I think if we continue to improve, we can make it into the conference tournament,” said Sanchez.

The women have had a tough start to their season. Many players are out due to injuries, but Michelle Deloney, defense junior, thinks that it will make them better. “I think our biggest strength is that we’ve had to play with smaller numbers and when we come together we’ll be a lot better.”

Deloney is still optimistic for the upcoming conference games. “We’re just continuing to be strong and we’re practicing a lot of communication in games. I think as long as we keep a positive attitude we can achieve our goal of a winning season,” she said.

Nichole Resa, midfield freshman, agrees. “Our team is improving as the season goes on,” she said.

Both teams played Tuesday night against Central Christian Univeristy. Results were not available at presstime.

The next game for both teams will be held at 6 p.m. on Oct. 1 at Friends University.

Erin Morris is a freshman majoring in communications. You may e-mail her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.