Here’s to Obama. His name can now be featured along the likes of Martin Luther King, Jr., Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela and the 14th Dalai Lama after being awarded the Nobel Peace Prize Oct. 9.

“But why does he deserve this award?” people are asking. “Has he really, well, done anything yet?”

Okay, well, it’s true that Obama is one of only a few to receive the award while in office, and the only one to receive it while leading his nation in a war, which is a bit of irony. It’s also true that the committee said he received it because of his “extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples.”

Giving him the award for his efforts may rightfully set off red flags in peoples’ heads, but we have to think about the overall significance. Yes, maybe it was given as a slight encouragement to produce action that could someday be prize worthy in terms of reducing nuclear arms worldwide and easing conflicts with the Muslim nation, even if the President hasn’t successfully closed Guantanamo Bay yet (of course, even if the detainees leave that prison, they couldn’t possibly go free, no matter how much the beg and cry and plead. It’s too dangerous to believe anyone in this day and age).

Really, who doesn’t want an encouraging prize like that?

So, while we’re at it, let’s sling around some more prizes to groups, events and people who don’t quite deserve it yet but, well, maybe someday.

We’ll give the .500 Season Prize to the 0-5 football team for a 5-5 record they may have Nov. 14 after they play Kansas Wesleyan University. There have been some signs of life. An award may be just what they need to have that extra spark, even if they haven’t come within 20 points of a team since the game one against Sterling College.

Then there’s the Way to Not Waste Your Parents’ Money Award to what always seems like half of the freshman class-the ones who forget to actually show up to class until after midterm grades come out. Congratulations on what could be passing grades in December, letting you stay here for at least one more semester.

Here’s a You Aren’t Worthless Prize for the television sitting at the top of the stairs by the cafeteria. It’s a call to bring people together if they actually stop at the top of the steps and watch it. They don’t right now, of course, but they may in a few weeks if it begins playing terrible reality shows.

For all of the best friends on campus who have the best of intentions while thinking of their best friend’s, parents’ and siblings’ birthdays but have yet to actually save money to buy anyone a present or card, here’s the It Isn’t Just the Thought That Counts Prize. Yes, we know that, as poor college students, it’s tough to save enough money to buy or make an actual gift for those you love, even though they always seem to find money for your birthday. Here’s to your intentions becoming touchable realities for the ones you care about most.

A Usefulness Prize for the parking spaces in front of the Broadhurst dormitories has to be given next. If there are suddenly six handicapped people living in Broadhurst, these may be filled someday, giving the users a deserved closeness to the back door. Right now the spaces sit lonely and empty most of the year, but perhaps someday we’ll delight in their usefulness.

For those of us who don’t need those handicapped spots though, here’s a Way to Not Be Lazy prize awarded to the people who drive from the Wallingford parking lot to the cafeteria/Christy parking lot. From 11:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. each day, it is filled with the vehicles of people who drive that block so that they can get something to eat-and if there isn’t a spot, who cares if we park on the yellow lines? Why, we pay thousands of dollars to park on these yellow lines, so don’t tell us what we can and can’t do.

So to stingy friends, the empty handicapped parking spaces, college freshmen and the rest of us around here who have yet to bear fruit, even with the best of intentions, there’s really nothing else to say but “good luck.” There’s always hope that once someone is given an award they don’t deserve yet, they’ll do whatever it takes to earn it. And if they still have more talk than action, maybe they could nominate themselves for the Nobel Peace Prize. It could be a trend.