By Maggie Dunning

It is the last band concert of the year. The event begins at 7:30 p.m. on April 26, in Richardson Performing Arts Center. Refreshments will be served while live music is played beginning at 6 in the lobby.

The concert revolves around music from Hollywood.

Derreck Carter-House, biochemistry and biology senior, said, “The number 1 thing I would like to do is send the audience away with the joy of music and being able to inspire them to pursue their own joys.”

Martin Rude, director of outreach ministry, is the emcee of “Night on the Red Carpet”.

“I am very excited to be the emcee. Anytime that you are asked back means that somebody got something out of the time,” said Rude.

Karen Morrell, Winfield Municipal Band director, said “It is a chance to pull together different groups at Southwestern.”

Music will be played by Southwestern College’s Concert Band and the Winfield’s Municipal Band. The bands will play music from different films. While music is being played, video clips from the movies will be shown.

Carter-House said, “We’ve got a lot of good ones. We’re playing the ‘Halo’ sweep theme song. I really like that one.”

Music will be played from “Beauty and the Beast,” “Star Trek,” “Breakfast at Tiffany’s,” “Sound of Music,” including scores such as “Never on Sunday,” “Over the Rainbow,” “The Radiators March,” Bob Hope’s “Thanks for the Memories,” and “Halo Sweep.”

Carter-House said, “We’ve got stuff from our generation all the way back to some of the band member’s generation, so back in the 50s.”

There will also be door prizes given away during the concert. The door prizes were donated by local Winfield businesses.

Morrell said that the businesses are Auto Techs: Frame and Body Repair, College Hill Coffee House, Donna’s Designs, Family Video, Graves Drug, Gambino’s Pizza, KPM Computer, Biederman’s Bistro, Cowley Cinema 8, Kathryn’s Fine Dining, Get Rented Promotions and Tisdale Methodist Church.

Maggie Dunning is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at margaret.dunning@sckan.edu.