By Gabby Gamez

Carolina Garbato, volleyball head coach, is from São Paulo, Brazil. Being more than 5,000 miles from home does not hinder Garbato from achieving her goals one step at a time. Although she has only been in Kansas since the beginning of August, Garbato has brought an open mind and a winning mentality for the women’s volleyball team.

Garbato was recruited to play volleyball for Oral Roberts University in Tulsa, Oklahoma. During this time Garbato earned a bachelor’s degree in Health and Physical Education. She also earned a master’s degree in school administration.

When it comes to the sport of volleyball, Garbato shows complete dedication and desire to achieve more. With the privilege of playing for many great coaches through her athletic career Garbato strives to be a positive impact to not only her athletes’ lives, but those around her as well. She puts in long hours, learning the finer details and studying new tactics and plays to ensure that no matter what, she can be at the top of her game when it comes to coaching her team.

She worked her way up from a high school coach to a club volleyball coach and then an assistant college coach. Through this extensive process it led her to achieving her goal of becoming the head volleyball coach. Though no one likes the 6 a.m. wakeup, Garbato says no matter what hour practice starts, the women who make up the women’s volleyball team have great attitudes in practice and show the willingness to learn. It truly makes her job fun.

Garbato puts her family first. They are her support system, even from so far away. Garbato lives her life with faith in God, the teachings that her parents instilled in her, and with the love that her siblings send her way. Garbato is very family oriented. Spending time with her niece and nephew is her No. 1 hobby.

Gabby Gamez is a junior majoring in communication. You may contact her at gabby.gamez@sckans.edu.