“I woke up one cold morning and debated whether or not I wanted to get out of bed to go to class. I ran the risk in my head. Then I pondered.”  Many of us have probably been in the same situation Jim Filbert found himself in on a February morning earlier this year.  Instead of rolling over and going back to sleep, he decided to check the Internet for a tool that would calculate the risk for him.  When no such website was to be found, Filbert decided it was up to him.  Out of pure excitement he skipped class that day and began work on the Skip Class Calculator.

The first of its kind, the Calculator asks users ten questions.  Each answer is assigned a point value, and some questions carry more weight than others. Pressing ‘submit’ takes those values and inserts them into a formula. The answer produced fits into a range of numbers that corresponds to the answer shown on the screen.

Anna Stevens, music education senior, tested the Calculator using three of her classes. Overall, she found the site to be fairly accurate. The only hitch she found was that a syllabus was necessary when answering questions about test dates. She also found something missing. “I would ask how long lectures are. If you miss a two hour class, it’s probably going to affect you more than a fifty minute class,” she said.

While considering whether or not to skip class, it is important to remember that the amount of time in class can directly affect grades and all around performance. “I think how much you skip class reflects your dedication to your school,” said Stevens.

Sometimes class is a necessary evil, but other times it seems like a better idea to skip. That is where the Calculator comes in.

So, it’s a cool tool, but is it really useful? “It’s slightly irrelevant because it’s a matter of priorities. All it’s doing is listing your priorities for you, which is something you could do under the sheets with your head still on the pillow,” said Mallorie Coffman, athletic training freshman.

Stevens agrees that it is only mildly useful to those who are already going to skip class anyway.

Erin Morris is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at erin.morris@sckans.edu.