By Kaitlynn Munoz

This is the first year for Southwestern to have a sorority on campus. A group of women decided to create this sisterhood last spring. “My first two years I wasn’t involved and I knew not many other students were also involved in anything, so I felt like since there is a fraternity here, we should also have a sorority,” said Jessica McIver, psychology junior. McIver is president of Zeta Delta.
McIver and other Zeta Delta sisters got an advisor the beginning of this year. Krystal Winn is Zeta Delta’s advisor. In the first semester of the first year, all 21 women of Zeta Delta, have created expectations for the present and the future. “Our expectations are to have great leadership, to have high academic standards, professional development and moral and intellectual growth in Zeta Delta,” said Anastasia Prokopis, business junior. She is vice president of Zeta Delta.
“For our future, we are hoping to leave with a strong membership base foundation, getting more people involved, and creating an organization that will be maintained in the future,” said Prokopis.
Zeta Delta is planning an event Sunday. “Our goal for our Thanksgiving dinner is to celebrate our community service accomplishments, get a better understanding of our sisters, and give thanks for our sisters,” said McIver.
They will be seeking new members during rush week next semester, “I joined Zeta Delta because I wanted to have sisters since I live so far away from home and my sister,” said Ashley Bruno, biology freshman. They will accept as many members to keep Zeta Delta going. They meet every Sunday night at 7:30 p.m. upstairs in the library.
Kaitlynn Munoz is a freshman majoring in communications. You may email her at kaitlynn.munoz@sckans.edu.