By Tanner Carlson and Keilah Chambers
Staff Reporters

Winfield (KS)- Jinx Radio “The Only Station for Builder Nation,” the Southwestern campus radio has a new station on 94.7 FM. Everyone with their radios programmed to the old station 100.3 FM, and puzzled to why they’re not hearing the famous slogan and 24/7 pop radio, that’s the reason why.

Jinx radio started in the 1940s for college students looking to gain experience in radio. Going on over 70 years the jinx radio is still going strong.

Jinx radio has made transformations to keep up with the times and is one of the longest running activities at Southwestern. The radio first started out as a carrier current system. The carrier current system allowed only access to those plugged in to the same source of power. In 1968, the radio station was improved when a transmitter was bought from WSU for $125.

That same transmitter lasted up to 45 years. In 1979 the Federal Communication Commission (FCC) wanted radio stations to be moved up the dial. Jinx radio moved to 100.3.  This summer the station increased from 10 to 100 watts. Jinx radio can now be heard in parts of Oklahoma and Wichita.

New voices will be heard on Jinx Radio, two new D.J.s are on staff, along with two other veterans, Garrett Chapman, and Keilah Chambers, the two newcomers include Timi Onilogbo, and Tanner Carlson.

Garrett Chapman, communication junior, had comments about his decision to join Jinx Radio “I joined Jinx Radio because I wanted to get experience as a DJ, and get familiar with the equipment.” That is exactly what Chapman gets while working the on-campus radio station, with the sound board, microphones, and other equipment being as close to any other radio station out there. Chapman could get a job at any station, and feel completely at home with the equipment.

This is Chapman’s 4th semester working as part of the Jinx Radio staff. Chapman says that “After I graduate I’d like to be a camera man for the sports industry.” Talking with Chapman, he is more than willing to help out the rookies whenever need be.

Newcomers such as Timi Onilogbo, communication freshman, had this to say on preparing himself for his first live radio broadcast “Well to be honest I don’t know, but hopefully I can calm myself down from being so anxious.” Being nervous is perfectly acceptable because live radio is something not many people have experienced.

“I’ll probably have a lot of jitters, and stuff but hopefully it goes smoothly.” Onilogbo said. “I hope if I am doing radio [in the future], it’s mostly sports related.”

Tanner Carlson is a sophomore majoring in communication. Any further questions or comments you may contact him  Tanner.Carlson@sckans.edu.

Keilah Chambers is a senior majoring in communication. You may email her at Keilah.Chambers@sckans.edu.