By Dalton Carver

Although just a seedling, a new club is trying to vine out to anyone who is interested in plants or gardening. Feeling the need for a new organization centering on plants, Derreck Carter-House, biology junior, and Cayla McCullough, marine biology sophomore, have created the Green Thumb Club.

Carter-House also recently created the Ukulele Society, and this latest addition is another effort to bring a diversity of joinable organizations to students.
“The Green Thumb Club is an excellent opportunity for a few garden nerds to make an impact on an unsuspecting campus,” said Carter-House. “Many people just assume that plants are a convenience and not a necessity of everyday life.”
After discovering that he wasn’t the only one interested in the idea, Carter-House decided to give the project the green light. “The organization hasn’t been that well advertised, because it’s just in the development stage,” he said. “However, I think with all the publicity that our edible beds will get, the club will become a growing trend.”
“I know there are some students on campus who are interested in being a part of the team,” said McCullough. “I would also like to make this change on campus.”

Creating and maintaining these edible plant beds near the cafeteria would be the club’s first task. Carter-House hopes to have them up and running by this time next year. Using information from a campus-wide survey, strawberries, blackberries, watermelon and tomatoes are planned to be planted in the beds.
“I would love to see students walking by and plucking off a snack as they go to the café,” said Carter-House. “Other uses would include opening up the garden to the community during the summer to provide some food for the insecure families here in town.”
“These beds will be available to students for free, 24/7,” said McCullough. “As long as the plants are thriving, we will encourage everyone to take advantage of these organic treats.”
As for outside-campus doings, the club would also travel to other greenhouses and the botanical gardens in Wichita. Individuals interested in the club should expect to weed, water, harvest, and prune their way to loving plants. Some off-campus interaction is to be done as well.
“I would also like to get involved with the community and propose planting herbs and such around businesses,” said McCullough.

Not mentioning the tangible results the club is supposed to have, Carter-House also plans to use it as a vehicle for awareness. “It’s the clothes we wear, the gas in our car, the ink on the page, the food we eat, what we build our houses with and so on,” he said. “It’s our vision to supply students with a snack between classes and an understanding of how plants work.”

Dalton Carver is a sophomore majoring in communication. You can email him at dalton.carver@sckans.edu or tweet him @dalty_james.