By Jonathan Woon

Residents of Wallingford Hall who stay on the west side have to walk an additional distance and use the east door to enter their dorms.

The card-swipe system introduced earlier this semester not been completely installed. Christian Camacho, marine biology freshman, said “The card swipe system as it is right now, in only two doors to the east side has affected me because the only two doors that have card swipes are on the opposite end of the building from my room.”

Jacob McGuire, philosophy & religious studies junior, is a resident assistant on the third floor in Wallingford Hall. He said, “A strong statement that students of Wallingford made was the ‘Fix it’ door tags taped to the west door that has the malfunctioning card swipe system.”

Initially, the west door was supposed to be equipped with a card reader but until today, the door has not been engineered with the system due to replacement of the door itself. Since then, not much progress has been made.

Every week, resident assistants, the resident director of Wallingford Hall and Sarah Hallinan, director of residence, urges swift installation of the system from parties concerned. “I think that the process in replacing the far west card swipe needs to be a top priority as it limits the ability of students to enter their living quarters,” said McGuire.

Although students have much to complain, Sarah Hallinan, director of residence life, said the system saves the college from frequent lock change. “It is a lot easier and cheaper to deactivate a card than to change the locks on every entrance door and hand out new keys.  We charge $250 for lost outside door keys.  This cost doesn’t even cover the expense of changing the locks,” said Hallinan.

In the last year, students lost 10 keys which total $2,500. “We would like to avoid those charges and I’m sure students would too,” said Hallinan.

This new system was introduced by the business department to control access to residence halls and eventually use the card as an all-in-one card. Hallinan said that there is a possibility for refund checks to be handled using these encoded cards in the future. Use of student identification cards as debit cards is also being looked into.

Until something is done to the doors, students will continue experiencing difficulties accessing the building. Camacho explained how this has affected him on a regular basis. “Every day, I have to walk to one end just to go into the building and then walk all the way back to the other end,” said Camacho.

Camacho said that the solution is easy. “Get the doors fixed.”

Jonathan Woon is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at jonathan.woon@sckans.edu.

Edited by Inger Furholt