By Will Rosson

A new student-athlete organization has been formed. The Unified Student-Athlete Association was established by Suzie Hinman, assistant women’s soccer coach, as part of her masters in leadership.

What exactly is the USAA?

According to Hinman, the mission is to promote student-athlete welfare, engage in community outreach and provide insight into the student-athlete experience at Southwestern College. She said, “I saw a similarity between the NCAA strategic positioning platform and the NAIA Champion of Character ideals, but with a lack of follow-through on the NAIA institutional level. I hope USAA will be a way for SC student-athletes to personify the Champion of Character traits on and off the field,” said Hinman.

The USAA now has a core group of about 20 student-athletes who were recommended by their coaches to be part of the formation. They are currently recruiting more student-athletes to be part of this new organization.

Scott Rethorst, computer science junior, is chair of USAA. He said that the group is establishing itself and making plans.

Taylor Kinnamon, business administration junior, explains when and what meetings consist of.

“Our regular meeting times are 8 p.m., Sunday in the Stewart Field House classroom. At every meeting we plan for future events, break into committees, and discuss what we can do to attract members and improve campus,” said Kinnamon.

Meeting times will likely change as students’ schedules change.

Early ideas from the USAA meeting are to improve team character, personal character, resume building and looks into becoming a better coach.

Chelsea Fort, biology junior, is vice-chair. She said, “It is a great organization that is really going to make an impact on campus. We have great ideas to make games and sport matches more exciting, along with making improvements to the weight room and cafeteria. It looks great to put on a resume and you can learn a lot about being a leader by joining USAA.”

Hinman said, “If people are interested in more information they can find it at buildersports.com under inside athletics. We also have our first fundraiser this weekend at SC relays. We’ll be selling snow cones for $1 from 11 to 4.”

Will Rosson is a senior majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at will.rosson@sckans.edu.