By Garrett Chapman

Wendell Forsse is a World War II veteran. He served in the Navy. (Tricia Cook/Special edition photographer)

Before the military, Wendell Forsse, WWII and Korean War veteran, worked for the railroad doing sectional work.

He enlisted in the military at the age of 18. He served in the Navy during WWII and the Korean War. Although he never saw action he was stationed overseas.

While on duty, he stayed in many different places. He went from San Diego to Hawaii, then to Guam and on to China where he stayed two months. He spent a short time in Singtow to get supplies.

Forsse was on duty from 1946 to 1948. He worked in the offices doing paper work, taking care of all the supplies they needed.

While in other countries, he experienced different cultures, and different ways of living. Forsse said, “We went onto China. It was a pretty poor country when we saw it. People were literally dying on the streets.”

He came back to the states in December and began his education. He went to Bethany College for two years. He transferred to Kansas State to finish. Forsse majored in business administration.

After graduating college, Forsse got called back into the service. He went to the Philippines for eight months. He was a storekeeper in a supply store for MCB No. 3.

During his free time, he loved to get out and shoot basketball with his fellow Americans. While in the Philippines he enjoyed watching movies outside. Not even the typhoons could stop them, “We literally had to wear sun helmets and ponchos to keep dry,” said Forsse.

When his time in the service was done, he went back to work. Forsse said, “I went to work for an American  Oil Company called Standard of Indiana.”

He moved into the Kansas Veterans Home on May 28, 2012. He enjoys living here, especially on Mondays. “We play bingo on Monday nights for free. Nothing better than some free bingo with prizes,” said Forsse.

Forsse feels strongly toward every veteran, the one who saw action and those who did not, the ones who received medals and awards, and those who did not are all important.

“Veterans Day means a lot. We need to preserve our country. I think we should celebrate by thinking of the people that were and are doing their duty. Honor those people if they got a medal or not. Support our troops and honor them,” said Forsse

Garrett Chapman is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email him at garrett.chapman@sckans.edu.