This will be the second year the Green Team will compete in the nation-wide competition of none other than recycling. Five hundred colleges and university from all over nation will compete in RecycleMainia. The competition will begin midnight, Feb. 1 and will continue until midnight of April 1.

Jason Speegle, director of the Green Team, said last year the goal was to see how much the team could collect and this year he hopes to improve. 

Last year, the campus placed 110th out of 206 schools in the Grand Champion, 151st out of 293 schools in the Per Capita Classic and 63rd out of 148 schools in the Waste Minimization categories.

“We will be pleased if we do better in the competition than last year,” said Speegle.

This year will be no different. The Green Team will enter in those same three categories. The Grand Champion category is the combined trash and core recyclable materials in which determine the total rate as a percentage of its overall waste generation. This category determines how much reduction and recycling was obtained by the school.

The Per Capita Classic category is designed to calculate how much paper, cardboard, bottles and cans per person can be collected.

“This is the original RecycleMania competition,” said Speegle.

The last category that the Green Team will participate in is Waste Minimization. In this category schools will compete to see who can generate the least amount of combined waste and recyclable material. It will be determined by the least amount of municipal solid waste per person.

One way the Green Team has looked to improved is by beginning to recycle paper board. This is not the same as card board, but the cereal box kind.

Speegle said collecting this was a new thing they would try because the City of Winfield didn’t accept it.

Another way that the Green Team has began to prepare for the competition is by adding new recycling bins to all the dorms and around campus in general.

In addition to the new bins, the Green Team has begun to promote the event in the JinxTale and on Facebook in order to encourage students to participate.

Speegle said he wants to motivate students to recycle more and hopes if the campus recycles more, the team will do better.

Because this is a school competition, the Green Team is looking for the help of everyone on campus. 

“We want to encourage everyone to recycle more and more so we can be successful in the recycling competition and also to help improve the quality of our environment,” said Speegle.

Here are some ways everyone can help. The list below was taken from a Facebook invitation.

• Recycle. Recycle. Recycle. The bin is just down the hall and you don’t have to go outside in the cold like you do to have to throw your trash away.
  • Use washable dishes instead of paper, plastic, or Styrofoam.
  • Eat in the Cafeteria instead of going out to eat.
  • Print off paper only when absolutely necessary. You are just going to recycle it all at the end of the semester anyway.
  • Recycle. Recycle. Recycle. It’s easy. It’s fast. And it’s free. What more can you ask for?