I live an hour and a half away from school. If and when I come home, my mother usually asks me if I am sick because my voice is raspy. Truth be told, I’m not sick. In fact, I’m in high spirits because I’m home and I just completed a successful drive with some successful vocals.

I love singing in the car when I go home. It is something that I look forward to every time I start up the engine, pull out of the parking lot and head west. Of course, I plug my I-Pod in so I can listen to my own music, that way I know all the words.

In a few days, students will be jetting out of Winfield as fast as possible to get home for a much needed Thanksgiving holiday break. Normally, I would say that I’m in no real rush to go home, but I’m jumping on the bandwagon and getting out as soon as I can.

There is just one thing I hope everyone doesn’t take for granted. The time in between leaving school behind and heading home to share in the holiday spirits is something special. Some students have to drive for hours upon hours, and some barely outside of town, but the time sitting in your car by yourself is a time of reflection, meditation and screaming your guts out.

I used to have a special album that I listened to while driving down the highway. It was a mix of two bands, ‘Protest the Hero’ and ‘Flogging Molly.’ It is 20 tracks long and brought me home from start to finish right on the money every time. Not only that, but with ‘Protest the Hero’ being a hardcore band and ‘Flogging Molly’ being the Irish alternative punk genre that they are, my voice would be almost gone by the time I pulled in the driveway.

The final line of the chorus on the final song stated, “If there’s a ship that sails tonight, I’ll captain that too just to be there with you.” It emphasized that I was “sailing” home in my head. I made it known when I anchored by turning the music all the way up in the driveway.

Why on earth am I revealing this story? Because it is at that moment when I open the car door and step out to meet the family again that I realize how thankful I am for a safe drive, for my friends and family and of course, music. The suspense of driving home and getting to my destination builds up with every song and it is finally let out when I can give my little sister a hug, or tell my dad that no-shave November shouldn’t include men over 40.

I love every minute of the drive home and this upcoming trek for Thanksgiving will be no exception. I ask that when you make the drive home, wherever that may be, take a second to take in the surroundings and think about how great it is going to be to see your family’s faces again. Be thankful, after all that is what Thanksgiving is all about. Then, crank up the tunes and go crazy until the people pulling up next to you at a stoplight call the cops.

Clinton Dick is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.