By Korie Hawkins

The road back to Kansas is full of reflection.
Think back over the past three months. Let the feeling of that first summer wave rush through your veins and enter your brain. Let the memories overwhelm you. What are you thinking of?

The way the blazing sun tanned your skin day in and day out, vacations to the beach, that comfort of walking shoeless in the sand, barbecues on the back porch, naps that seemed limitless with no point of return, that new friend you met at that one place, kissing your significant other while walking hand and hand, July 4th weekend events, parties with no end time, meeting up with friends, all the things you waited the whole school year to do day after day.

All of this only to pack the car up and make the drive back to Winfield. You are leaving the memories of summer behind you. All of a sudden you’re back to reality. Your radio grabs your attention boming “So I put my hands up, they’re playing my song, butterflies fly away, nodding my head like yeah…” But wait, do you remember what song was playing in the background?

I don’t know why, but I do. I can hear the lyrics in my head playing over and over again. “Have you ever reached a rainbow’s end? And did you find your pot of gold? Ever catch a shooting star then tell me how high did you soar?” Fantasia Barrino, “I Believe.” I’m not sure if it’s because I’ve strived for this year my entire life, or if it’s just the thought of accomplishing something.

Some may be returning, like me. I can’t believe it’s my senior year already. Three years fly by pretty fast, others may be embarking on a new journey.Some of you may be thinking, “Finally I’m here out of my parent’s house.” Better yet “I made it to college.” Whether you are happy, excited, anxious, scared, or even sad- the sound is there. The sound I’m talking about is music. Music has a profound impact on the world. Everyone has a specific melody that brings life all together. Somehow it all make sense in some way.

I believe Maya Angelou said it best. “Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.”

There is just something about the way music provokes an emotional response in our minds. For some it may be the beat, for others it may be the lyrics, but for most it is the connection your mood makes with a particular song.
Although the summer has ended and the school year has begun, whatever song best describes your summer will always be there. But now it’s time for a new song, whatever that one maybe. Always remember there is a song for every feeling, a verse for every emotion, and a chorus for every transition in our lives.

Korie Hawkins is a senior majoring in journalism. You may e-mail her at korie.hawkins@sckans.edu.