By Maggie Dunning

The final decision came down to numbers. The master’s degrees in leadership, master of arts and performance in music education and in performance will not be offered after this school year.

With a total of two students applying for the programs, enrollment was insufficient to continue the programs on campus.

“That wouldn’t have been a good educational experience. You need about five to eight students to exchange ideas, work on group projects and such,” said Andy Sheppard, vice president of academic affairs and dean of faculty.

Tim Shook, professor of music and division chairperson of performing arts said, “I feel terrible, disappointed and sad. I also see the reasoning behind it. There was a lot of time invested in the program, to develop the program and write the program. This action just nullifies the investment of time and energy.”

Cheryl Rude, associate professor of leadership studies and director Leadership Southwestern, said, “The people that are currently in the program aren’t really affected because we will be finishing with them.”

There will be no new students accepted into the programs after this school year.

Maggie Dunning is a freshman majoring in mass communication. You can e-mail her for more information at margaret.dunning@sckans.edu.