By Jonathan Lane

Southwestern College Football hosted the McPherson College Bulldogs Saturday, Oct. 10 with an impressive offensive and defensive showing.

The Moundbuilders won with a final score of 45-7.

The Moundbuilders, coming off two weeks without a game, looked well-rested scoring first in the contest with a 39-yard field goal by Alfredo Botello, junior kicker, with less than a minute in the first quarter which was followed by a 56-yard run to the paydirt from Keyshawn Wyatt, senior tailback, in the second quarter.  

Continuing the pressure, the Moundbuilders followed up with a strong drive up the field ending with a touchdown pass from Brad Cagle, senior quarterback, to Layke Hoffman, junior tight end, with five minutes left in the first half.

But that wasn’t enough for the Moundbuilders, who drove up the field for two more rushing touchdowns from Wyatt, taking the Moundbuilders to the half with a 31-0 lead.

The second half started like the first ended with the Moundbuilder defense holding the Bulldogs off and the offense scoring early off a 1-yard William Mueller, sophomore quarterback, run.

Quickly after, Travon Crockett, senior free safety, intercepted the ball giving the Moundbuilder offense another shot.

Keeping the momentum, the offense continued their torrid stretch with another touchdown pass from Emilio Monzivas, sophomore quarterback, to Andre Jones, sophomore wide receiver, pushing the score gap to 45-0.

The Bulldogs, finally showing signs of life, quickly drove up the field for their first touchdown of the game with 9:53 remaining in the contest.

In the waning minutes of the game, the Moundbuilders held the Bulldogs to their lone touchdown and capped the game at 45-7.

“We had a great second quarter. That was probably, as far as executing defense and special teams, one of the better second quarters I’ve seen here” Brad Griffon, head football coach, said. “He (Keyshawn Wyatt) can do a little bit of everything… he’s actually probably, in my time of coaching, one of the best pass blockers that we’ve had that I’ve seen.”

Wyatt had an impressive showing with 70 rushing yards on 12 attempts. Wyatt said, “It all just comes down to trusting our teammates and our coaches and their game plans. We expected to do this and we just said we’re going to keep our foot on the gas and not let up.”

The Moundbuilders overall had 285 rushing yards compared to the Bulldogs’ 15. The passing yards were slightly more favorable for the Bulldogs at 110 yards, but the Moundbuilders 204 passing yards from Monzivias (108 yards) and Cagle (96 yards) helped give the Moundbuilders a commanding lead.

The Moundbuilders travel to Kansas Wesleyan (3-0) next week who just won against William Penn 42-6.