Sports editor

The men’s golf team returned to the course at the Bethel Spring Invitational on April 1 and 2.

Seth Bryan, business management freshman, and Shane Gilbert, business administration sophomore, led the Moundbuilders to a second overall place.

Both Bryan and Gilbert carried the team to finish on top of the herd during the opening day of the invitational when the two golfers tied for the first place out of 13 teams.

However, this was not enough as the Bethany Swedes conquered the tournament with 602 strokes. The Moundbuilders had a total of 607 strokes. Southwestern started on the right foot with 296 the first half, but fell during the second day, shooting 311.

Tim Jasper, assistant coach, said, “After yesterday [Monday], we had a 17 shot lead over Bethany, and today [Tuesday] we struggled on the greens. That is what ended up costing us the tournament.”

Bryan hit the first playoff hole for his first career win to place first. He had one of the two Moundbuilders’ best games with 70-77—147.

“Even though it was really cold, I felt pretty good,” said Bryan.

Gilbert had the other best game for the Moundbuilders. He tied Bryan with a card of 71-76—147. He shot a birdie for the first day and 5 over par the second day.

“I felt really good during the tournament, hit the ball well and my short game was good,” said Gilbert. “My only weakness was my putting, not making enough 3-4 footers.”

Bobby Weidner, business administration senior, placed 11th with 76-79—155.

Following Weidner was Jake Henson, business management sophomore. Henson tied 19th with Stephen Austin, Sterling senior. Henson shot 79-80—159.

Justin Churchill, business freshman, had 82-79—161. Churchill placed 22nd of 65.

“We still have 3 weeks to prepare for the conference tournament,” said Jasper.

The Moundbuilders will close the regular conference season on April 29 and 30. The team will play the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference Championship in Mayetta.

Angel Vadillo is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.