By Kylie Stamper

Ceth Bannister, senior wide receiver, punts the ball to fellow players during the first quarter of the game. (Maggie Dunning/Collegian photographer)

Pulling off a victory of 32-29 against the St. Mary Spires, Builder football brings their record to 5-4, 4-3 KCAC.

St. Mary started with two early touchdowns but a direct snap to Nolan Davenport, junior fullback, gave the Builders their first touchdown for a score of 7-14 at the end of the first quarter with the Spires leading.

Ttorbin Harper, senior linebacker, said, “We just let them get behind us. But sometimes some of our guys end up breaking tackles and getting a big play out of it.”

Chris Mayer’s 50 yard field goal brought the Moundbuilders to 20-21 going into halftime with the Spires still in the lead.

With six minutes left in the game, the score was up to 32-21, this time with the Builders in the lead.

The Spires pulled out one more touchdown for a final score of 32-29 giving Southwestern their latest victory.

Ken Crandall, head coach, said, “It was a good effort for the guys and they came out and responded, especially after a tough one last weekend and got a good victory at home.

Brady Keith, freshman running back, said, “We just all came together and never gave up. It was a big team effort.” Keith was named Offensive Player of the Game.

Crandall said, “We need to always continue to get better. We need to really work on a good strong team and we just need to focus on getting better.”

The Moundbuilder’s next game will take place at Sterling College on Nov. 9 at 1:30 p.m. The final home game is Nov. 16 at 1:30 p.m. against the McPherson Bulldogs at Jantz stadium.

Kylie Stamper is a freshman majoring in communication. You may email her at kylie.stamper@sckans.edu.