Sports editor

Nine Moundbuilders traveled to Geneva, Ohio to compete in the NAIA Indoor Track and Field Championship on March 1 & 2.

Cassie Hollenback, biology freshman, arrived as the headliner for Southwestern. Hollenback advanced after running 2:55.83 in the 1000 meter run at Nebraska Tune Up meet Feb. 15.

She competed in the 1000 meter run placing sixth and setting up a personal best. Hollenback ran 2:55.01 in the finals. She improved from her preliminary 2:56.02 time. Oklahoma Baptist’s Hannah Helker, sophomore, took the women’s 1000 meter run with 2:47.76.

Rhea Rollins, physical performance and sports studies senior, performed in the 60 meter hurdles. Rollins set a new school record Friday of 9.08. The next day, she finished last in the semi-finals running 9.21 and did not advance to the finals. Shayla France, Indiana Tech’s sophomore, ended first with 8.56.

The women’s team finished on the 43rd spot. The Lady Builders track and field team only added three points. The team tied for the 43rd place with Davenport (Ohio), Mount Marty (S.D.), and Central Methodist (Mo). Oklahoma Baptist finished first in the women’s bracket with 105 points.

Eric Anders, business administration junior, Sam McDaniel, business administration junior, Conner Drendel, master of education, Nick Warnke, business administration sophomore, participated in the 4×800 relay team. The team ran 8:05.13 finishing 15 in the prelims.

Morningside College took the event running 7:37.46.

They downgraded their 7:58.58 record posted at the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference Indoor Track and Field Championship Feb. 8.

The Moundbuilder Distance Medley Relay Team was formed Brandyn Willard, physical education junior, Frank Adelman psychology senior, McDaniel, and Drendel.

The four completed the event with 10:06.96. This time gave them third place in the preliminaried heat two, and an overall 10 place.

Apart from the Distance Medley Relay, Adelman also competed in the men’s 3000 meter run. The senior set a new school record with a time of 8:29.98. This left the runner to be place in the 10th spot.

Artrail Skipper, business administration sophomore, achieved 13th place overall in the men’s triple jump. The event had two flights with 10 and 11 players respectively. Skipper jumped on the second flight Saturday placing sixth.

This meet was the last for the indoor track and field season. Outdoor track and field season will begin March 14 with the Moundbuilders hosting the Southwestern College Invitational.

Angel Vadillo is a sophomore majoring in communication. You may e-mail him at angel.vadillo@sckans.edu.