Dennan Morrow, junior guard, scored a season-high 25 points against Bethany Saturday in Stewart Field House. Morrow's sharp shooting helped the Builders get their first win in four games 72-54 over the Swedes. (Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer)

After suffering four losses in their last five games, the Southwestern men’s basketball team redeemed themselves with a 72-54 rout of Bethany College Saturday in Stewart Field House. The win improved the Builder’s record to 11-6 overall and 3-5 in Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference play. After being tied for first in conference play, the Swedes dropped to 5-3 in the KCAC and 7-11 overall.

The game was lopsided from the start as Southwestern quickly grabbed the lead and never let go. The Builders capitalized off of missed shots and turnovers committed by the Swedes and held on to a comfortable 39-28 lead at halftime.

The second half saw much of the same as SC dominated on both sides of the ball and never gave Bethany the opportunity to jeopardize their lead.

Dennan Morrow, junior guard, had his best game of the season as he hit 9-13 shots, including 7-10 from beyond the arch, and scored 25 points for the Builders. Ethan Randolph, junior forward, added 17 points and Chris Nelson, junior guard, earned a double-double by scoring 14 points and snagging 16 rebounds.

Trey Beachum, sophomore guard, and Jack Sadowy, sophomore guard, both scored 10 points to lead Bethany.

Southwestern shot the ball well, hitting 51.9 percent of their shots, as well as going 8-14 from three-point range. The Swedes were not as successful as they went 36.5 percent from the field and hit just 4-19 from beyond the arch. The Builders also out-rebounded the Swedes 36-29.

Southwestern’s next game takes place at 8 p.m. Jan. 20 at the University of Saint Mary in Leavenworth.

Clinton Dick is a sophomore majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.