By Jonathan Woon

Besides reducing prints, students can also help create a greener campus by using the water bottle filling station in Deets library.

The new water bottle filling station is manufactured by Elkay.

Jason Speegle, director of Green Team, said Elkay offered the college 250 free collapsible water bottles with the purchase of three water bottle filling stations.

Collapsible water bottles were distributed to the freshman class with their new laptops.

The college has purchased eight Elkay bottle filling station units. The first unit is already installed and students can use it at the campus library.

One of the main benefits of the bottle filling stations is its counter which encourages the use of reusable water containers. “Each time water is dispensed, a disposable water bottle has been saved,” said Speegle.

Speegle said within the first five days of use, the filling station at the library has been used 100 times.

Dalene McDonald, library director, said she was excited to see the first bottle filling station on campus to be installed at the library.

“I keep thinking about the water filter commercial that shows how far the plastic bottles we use reach around the world,” said McDonald. “Wouldn’t it be great if we could eliminate some of that waste here at SC? “

McDonald said the bottle filling stations helped the library’s effort to be greener. “It’s great to see such a strong effort at being green here on campus,” said McDonald.

Yuli Xu, graduate student, said the water bottle filling station reflects the college’s commitment to become greener.

Students can expect more of these bottle filling stations across campus. “There are seven more units to be installed,” said Speegle.

Among the proposed locations are Mossman, Beech, Stewart Fieldhouse, Cole and Christy. A few other locations are still being considered.

Sodexo Plant Operations is installing the water bottle filling stations.

“Scheduled completion is dependent upon Sodexo Plant Operations,” said Speegle.

Jonathan Woon is a senior majoring in communication. You may email him at jonathan.woon@sckans.edu.