By Lilia Bowman-Bekemeyer

Allyson Moon, director of the theatre program, has been a part of Southwestern College since 1988.

She plans for the department of theatre. She is also the director of the Improvisational Acting Troup. In the summertime, she takes responsibility for the Summer Theatre Festival. One of the things she loves about Southwestern College is that it is the staff’s job to work with each student, and she believes everyone does a great job of that. In her free time, Moon makes wine with her husband and loves to exercise.

Markie Swanson, theatre major with an emphasis in tech junior, is a student of Moon’s and said that Moon is open to students expressing themselves and wants their thoughts and opinions. She does not like to hold students back and gives great detail in what she wants from students without laying everything out for them. Swanson said Moon is helping her look at the material in her Directing class that Swanson would not have thought to look at and helps her become a better director.

Elizabeth Santana, theatre performance junior, said she had known Moon since before she came to school at Southwestern. Santana said Moon’s practices could seem a little outdated, but they work, and she is willing to help students if they have problems.

When her students asked how Moon is as a person, she is described as very easy going and friendly, caring about her students and making sure everyone understands the work they have been given.