By Maggie Collett

Money is a touchy subject for most people. More people are starting to clip coupons, open store discount cards, and make budgets for themselves. Spending money wisely is especially hard for college students. For many students, it’s their first time being on their own and temptation to spend money is everywhere.

Felisha Froggate, elementary education freshman, said money problems have recently crept up for her. Froggate’s boyfriend is in the army. She is buying a plane ticket to fly to Kentucky to spend Christmas with him. “Flights are expensive,” said Froggate.

Froggate said her parents help her out with most of her money concerns, but she’s paying for the trip to Kentucky by herself. In order to save money, Froggate said she tries to refrain from spending money on unnecessary things. “I try not to drive around a lot,” said Froggate.

Cristelle Tejes, communication freshman, said she feels she has a money problem, but doesn’t have a job. “Technically soccer is my job but not a job I get paid for,” said Tejes. “I get money from my parents because they won’t let me get a job.”

Tejes said she tries to save money by cutting out frequent trips to Wal-Mart. “I try not to go every time someone else wants to go,” said Tejes.

Some students are forced to save money in their own ways.

Kory Costello, marine biology freshman, recently lost his wallet.

“Obviously I haven’t spent any money lately,” said Costello. “But before I lost my wallet, I spent my money on McDonald’s, Taco Bell, and ice cream.”

Costello said his parents often help him out by lending him money, but he also tries to save money. “I eat other people’s food,” said Costello.

No matter how you go about spending or saving money, it’s something that weighs on everyone’s mind. Maybe the next time you’re in the Wal-Mart check-out aisle, you’ll think twice about that extra unnecessary item.

Maggie Collett is a freshman majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at margaret.collett@sckans.edu.