By Erik Johnson

The Lady Builders were in action against the Pittsburg State Lady Gorillas Saturday evening in Pittsburg. The Lady Builders were looking to rebound off an exhibition loss to Washburn College, a Division II National Collegiate Athletic Association team.  Pitt State is also a Division II NCAA powerhouse and was a tough matchup for the Lady Builders.

The Lady Builders had another tough time from the field, shooting 15-61 and also had a tough time from the three point line, shooting 6-22. The Lady Gorillas on the other hand shot extraordinary from the field, shooting 32-74 and hitting 12-23 from the three point line.

Pitt State’s height advantage was a huge factor, for the Lady Builders were outrebounded 42-54. The Lady Builders were fighting tough in the first half, going into the second half only down by seven. But Pitt State had a huge surge and ended up beating the Lady Builders by 34, the final score being 87-53.

The Lady Builders leading scorer was Kristy Herman, junior guard. “Despite the score we played hard. Pitt state is a tough team and they came at us hard in the second half.”

Dave Denly, head women’s basketball coach said, “We had a tough time shooting. We played hard and I’m proud of those girls for battling against tough teams.”

Brett Bates, senior guard, agrees that the team is playing high quality opponents, “It’s tough playing colleges of this caliber. Especially at their place too. If anything we get better playing teams of this caliber.”

The Lady Builders look to rebound off their loss against Southwestern Christian University Tuesday night.

Erik Johnson is a freshman majoring in convergent journalism. You can email him at erik.johnson@sckans.edu.