By Alejandra Rojas

Members of Campus Life have organized Merengue Dance Night for all students to attend this Friday in the cafeteria. Merengue Dance Night is free of charge.

Students will get the chance to learn various steps from Wichita’s Care to Dance Studio instructors. The instructors will first demonstrate sample steps and then teach basic group examples for everyone to follow along with.

Campus Life has previously organized various dance nights, such as ballroom, salsa dancing, and jazz.

“The response of students has been high in the past,” said Melissa Williamson, Assistant Director of Campus Life. “That’s why we continue to doing it.”

Campus Life not only wants to get students involved with school activities, but also wants to help promote a healthy surrounding for students.

Dorothy Pleas, Director of Campus Life, said, “We want to be able to promote healthy activities and we want the students to be healthy as well.”

What is unique about dance nights in the past is that the band is available to provide the music.

“We like to have the band, but sometimes the instructors bring a tape of music. We have done it both ways,” said Pleas.

Brandon Hessing, Coordinator of Student Foundation, said he wants to broaden students’ horizons and he believes this dance night will allow them to become involved with other things.

Alejandra Rojas is junior majoring in communication. You may e-mail her at alejandra.rojas@sckans.edu.