Matt Ditzler, Friends senior, Colton McNinch, biology sophomore, Javier Ceja, Friends senior, and Frank Adelman, biology junior, run ahead of the competition during the third leg of the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference Championships Saturday morning in McPherson. Ceja and Ditler finished one and two respectively while Adelman and McNinch took third and fourth overall. (Clinton Dick/Collegian photographer)

The streak is snapped. The men’s cross country team finished second for the first time in 32 years Saturday morning at the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference Championships in McPherson. The meet took place at Wall Park.

Friends University ended any hopes of a Southwestern upset after being the front runners in the conference all season. The Falcons finished with a combined tea score of 27 compared to the Builder’s  43.

Frank Adelman, biology junior, finished third out of 78 runners with a time of 26:24.72. Colton McNinch, biology sophomore, was right on Adelman’s heels and took fourth place with a time of 26:30.14. The two finished behind Friend’s seniors Javier Ceja and Matt Ditzler who finished one and two respectively.

Carrington Crum, elementary education senior, and Sam McDaniel, business administration sophomore, finished in 10th and 11th place respectively for Southwestern. Crum ran a time of 27:28.71 and McDaniel finished with a 27:33.79 time.

Daniel VanSickle, business sophomore, Eric Anders, biology sophomore, and Trey Bruton, mathematics sophomore, finished out in the top 17, placing 15th, 16th, and 17th respectively.

The women also placed second as a team at the hands of Friends.

Jennifer Hendrixson, business marketing senior, took seventh out of 58 competitors in her final collegiate cross country meet. She finished with a time of 20:08.86.

Sydnee Nelson, biochemistry junior, and Bri Cathcart, biology freshman, pushed their way into the top 15. Nelson finished 12th with a time of 20:26.75 and Cathcart ran a time of 20:29.33 to finish 13th.

Friend’s top runners placed first, second, third, fourth and sixth to aid in a team score of 16. Southwestern followed in second with a score of 83.

The National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Cross Country National Championship will take place Nov. 19 in Vancouver, Wash.

Clinton Dick is a junior majoring in convergent journalism. You may e-mail him at clinton.dick@sckans.edu.