By Garrett Chapman

Men’s tennis found a path to improvement with their scrimmage against Cowley County Community College, despite some difficulty.

Jason Speegle, head coach, said, “We need to be more consistent in our play. We are going to work on keeping our first serve out of the net. We have too many unforced errors. Our doubles have some work to do. At least we got to put them out there and evaluate them with partners.”

Although the score line doesn’t show it, the players played well. Especially Max Manley, who set the tone for the rest of the team.

“Max played amazing. The score may not reflect it but that is the best I’ve seen him play. He was up against a tough opponent. They went shot for shot,” said Richard Southern, assistant coach.

Not only was this scrimmage important to the coaches, it also let the players know where they are at in their season.

Max Manley, senior captain, said, “This is a good experience to figure out what we can improve on. The freshmen got a learning experience out of it. They got to see the pace and spin at the college level.”

The tennis team will take to the courts for the second time against Tabor on Sept. 7. 8 a.m. in Hillsboro at the Tabor Invitational Tournament.

Garrett Chapman is a freshman majoring in communications. You may email him at Garrett.Chapman@sckans.edu.